Thursday, June 03, 2010

Oversupply Of Doctors Soon... VERY soon

I remember back in school not many of my classmates wanted to do medicine. In fact, you could easily count the number of boys in my class who wanted to be doctors with your two hands.

Well that certainly changed when I stepped foot in MCKL. It's as if everyone doing science wants to be a doctor. True, there are a lot of brilliant kids. Fine. They can definitely do it. But what about the so-so ones or the downright bad?

There's this guy, an aspiring doctor, whom I know who suddenly asked me,"How to calculate the number of moles ar?" What the hell???? Even an Indonesian maid can do that! I know some of you reading this might say,"Bloody f***tard with a f***ing big ego."

Maybe I have. Maybe I don't. However it just annoys me when someone says that they want to be doctors. And it's the one who has no clue what osmosis is. My point is that medicine is not an easy thing. You either have the brains for it or you don't. It annoys me even more when they've already know what they want to specialize in. Someone in my class apparently already knows that he wants to be a neurologist. Well, God bless you. My dad told me that it's one of the hardest fields in medicine. Trying to determine which receptor is causing what. Which drug can stimulate a certain receptor without stimulating the other. And he failed his AS. So my question to this guy is,"How are you going to survive med school when you can't even do A-levels? Skipping classes doesn't show that you have the commitment for becoming a doctor."

I'm not saying all this in the name of selfish reasons whatsoever. I'm also not saying that because I come from some hierarchy where all the men in my family are doctors. I'm just annoyed that people want to be doctors even though it clearly shows that your results simply suck and you don't have the personality to be one. You suck.

Parents. YES!!! Parents!! You are to be blamed too!!!! You want your children to be doctors even though they might not agree to it. But no... You want to brag to other parents how awesome your child is. A doctor from some random Indonesian university. Now that's more respectable than some kid who studied Philosophy and History in Cambridge. In the eyes of some parents the answer is,"Yes! You stupid kid. Study History." They just failed to look at the fact that the poor chap studied in CAMBRIDGE. I'm not saying all are. I can proudly tell you that my parents let me be whatever I want.

Like my dad told me,"You can do the country a good thing by not becoming a doctor."

With what I said you might think that it's everyone's fault that they want to be doctors. But the Government is just at fault or even more screwed up. We might have a shortage of doctors now. However if you just keep churning out more and more doctors you end up with an overflow of doctors. You can't train a doctor overnight, you know. One day we'll probably end up like India or Indonesia.


"At the rate we are producing medical graduates, it will not be long before my experience in Jakarta becomes the norm here. In Jakarta, I was in a cab and the cab driver is a medical doctor. When asked why, he said, "Too many doctors, not enough jobs."

-From some random post I found online and I fully agree from this statement.




No comments: